dont you want me

January 4, 2020. Whoa, that is the first time I've ever wrote out 2020. But today I'll be discussing the song 'Don't you want me' by The Human League. So I was watching yet another episode of Glee and during alcohol awareness week, all of the students get ironically drunk. Two of the characters sing this song and I wanted to discuss the lyrics because they are kind of messed up. 
"You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar When I met you I picked you out, I shook you up And turned you around Turned you into someone new Now five years later on you've got the world at your feet Success has been so easy for you But don't forget it's me who put you where you are now And I can put you back down too." 
The lyrics of the song are not only offensive but sexist towards women. The male part in this song is basically saying that he got the girl success and if she doesn't take him back then he'll put her back on the bottom. This is sexist by saying that it is because of him that she became successful. Luckly, the next verse comes back with the female part saying that she was going places even if she never met him and that they just don't work anymore. I am very thankful that the second verse defense the woman's side of what happened because the guy was being a jerk. This could be just another example of Hollywood showing the men as controlling and the women as helpless, but in this case the girl gets a chance to correct the story. This is an interesting topic to write a song about because it shows two sides of a story. Nevertheless, the song is really good and has a fun tune.

Image result for dont you want me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

sue sylvester

my relationship with media

Reflection