sue sylvester

Image result for sue sylvester
December 1, 2019 Hello! Welcome to my third ever post on megan's media rants!! :) Today I will be talking about the development of one of my favorite characters from a TV show, Sue Sylvester from Glee. At the begining of the series, Sue is rude and mean. While this doesn't change much throughout the seasons, we begin to see the reason behind her madness. All of the characters assume that she is plotting something evil whenever she does nice things. While they have reason to be suspicious, she sometimes does nice stuff because of her past. For example, Sue donates a lot of money to the school to install handicap ramps. She also lets a kid with down syndrome into her cheer team. Other characters think that she is plotting something evil, but it is revealed that she has a sister with down syndrome. I think that her character development was really cool because we see her be this harsh mean teacher, and then we see the reasoning behind it. I think her character was written like that because the writers wanted us to hate her at the beginning because she seemed like the antagonist, but then wanted us to change our minds about her. They accomplished that by showing her soft side. The message that was trying to be shown here was that you should never judge someone or their actions without knowing their intentions.

Comments

  1. I commented before I knew what to comment. Though I don't watch Glee, I think that how they made her character seem mean and evil at the beginning of the series, then showed her backstory as the plot moved on is really good writing, and it makes us think that in real life we can't judge people by their actions at first because maybe they have a reason behind them. I agree with your blog post and I think how you describe Sue Sylvester is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this post. I think that Sue Sylvester is portrayed as a multidimensional character to appeal to audiences. Many other characters that first appear to be sassy and rude such as Santana and Quinn also have emotional backstories. Santana turns out to be gay and her grandmother disapproves, and Quinn gets pregnant and is humiliated when she is kicked out of her house and booted from the cheer team. This pain and emotion makes even the most hateful characters lovable to the audience. The unpacking of each character is a pathos roller coaster that pulls on the audience’s heartstrings. This pathos approach is similar to the way advertisers try to make emotional bonds with their consumers to certain products. Viewers create emotional connections to every character because they witness them at their lowest and highest. They even identify with certain members of the show. Each character makes mistakes, even the most generically good personalities. This adds to the relatability factor and human-ness of the show and it’s highschool setting. Human mistakes and the struggle of each character, teen or adult, creates a relatable show that entertains and excites people from every demographic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great analysis of Sue. I love the show Glee, and it wouldn't be the same without Sue Sylvester's snarky comments and strokes of pure, evil genius. I also love that she becomes a deeper character than just the classic bad-guy when we find out about her childhood. However, I think Sue should get more screen time and character development. Even after the audience is informed of her caring heart and touching past, she remains a menace to Will and the glee kids. I think it would have been better if Sue was able to evolve into a slightly more mature and lovable adult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this blog post! I personally used to be a huge fan of Glee when I was younger and was obsessed with all of the characters. I thought Sues image that you potrayed and explained was very accurate. I personally have mixed emotions about Sue and her character throughout the seasons although I love her as an actres. She is the mom in one of my favorite movies Sleepover. I find it so interesting to watch actresses and actors playing different characters, showing their true talent of being able to play mulitiple different people in various storylines. Again, I loved this blog post and you actually inspires me to restart watching Glee, since I haven't watched it in so long!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

my relationship with media

Reflection